Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The New London Fire Department


I hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. What did I do during my time off? I shaved heads. What did you do?

Last week we received our first shipment of the New London Seagrave TDAs, and with that shipment I'd like to give you some interesting facts that we've accumulated.

1. TDA stands for Tractor Drawn Aerial
Also known as a tiller truck or hook-and-ladder truck, it is a specialized turntable ladder mounted on a semi-trailer truck. Front and Rear steering are controlled separately. These are often used in areas with narrow streets. The TDA originated largely from the arising need to tend to skyscrapers, as the larger ladders were needed. These are not your average fire "engine." I've been informed that these are fire "trucks." Sounds powerful.

2. New London, CT
This looks like a place I would love to live for the rest of my life. A lovely little city right on a harbor, it is home to 2 (maybe more?) colleges, as well as the United States Coast Guard Academy. It boasts a rich histroy of revolutionary war heros, a city-wide fire (also during the war), and much more. Read about it in this wikipedia article, or fill us in some details that we are missing! I really want to visit this beautiful place.

3. The New London Fire Department
Not only do these heroes bring aid to their community by suppressing fires, they also provide medical services in the same class as an ambulance (R-2 level), and educate the public on fire prevention and responsibilites in case of Radiological events, Hazardous Materials, or extreme weather emergencies. New London's first fire engine was placed in service in 1767 with the first Engine Company being established in 1786. In 1805, the Connecticut Legislature empowered New London to establish a Fire Department. Between 1802 and 1922, numerous Companies were formed, disbanded and reorganized. Today, the Fire Department is a career department, manning three Engines, two Trucks and two Ambulances located in three fire stations. A shift supervisor, three station officers and fourteen Firefighters staff each of the four work groups.

I really enjoy reading the history or the city and the department. I really do read all day. What am I missing? Is there anyone there that can fill me in? Do you enjoy reading this as much as I do? Let me know so I can keep doing it. I would love to hear from our readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment